Wednesday 11 January 2012

week one

What are my learning expectations? (What do I hope to learn about my host nation? About myself? About intercultural communication?)



i hope to learn german to a level where i can smalltalk like a pro, and have no difficulty conversing in shops with the verkauferinnen.

i hope to learn more about recycling. in germany one cannot get a plastic bag at a supermarket, which is good, and every bin is divided into four to seperate paper, glass, organic and packaging. etc. i hope to perfect the german i have already learnt. i really want to visit auschwitz while i am here. i love learning about ww2 and id love to see the camps and hear the stories. i like my host mother elke, maybe i will learn more about her family and her work as she has many jobs and is a very busy person. i should probably learn how to be more independant and self reliant. i hope i will learn to need less food. i eat such a ridiculous amount.

4 comments:

  1. You seem to want the same things out of this course as me. I would also love to visit Auschwitz for the pure history of it. I also find the waste separation here interesting and would like to learn more about it. I hope that you get everything that you want out of this course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you reckon Auschwitz would be like? I'm somewhat fearful of wanting to go to any camps. I've spent so long learning about it and i'd be worried i'd traumatise myself or something.

    And so far it seems that the Germans don't have a problem with eating heaps :/ Evan (one of the Americans) told me they are one of the most obese nations in the world.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree.You should stop eating so much. Elke is going hungry. nahs kidding, recycling is hell interesting. They also seldom use their cars. what interesting lifestyles they live

    ReplyDelete
  4. kai i dont think auschwitz would traumatise us. however i dont think any of us can go as i discovered it takes about ten hours to get to krakow :( its such a shame to come all this way and miss it but we couldnt do it on less than 400e which im sure u dont have. if u guys are interested in doing buchenwald in saxon it take 5 hours to get there? i think we should! my host mum says there is a good museum with english info and stuff

    ReplyDelete